Your homeowners insurance probably covers spillage from a broken pipe, but it doesn’t cover flooding from natural disasters. A different policy is needed to insure for damage caused by natural flooding.

Given their location, many homeowners don’t believe that they need flood insurance, but about 25 percent of all flood insurance claims come from homeowners that don’t live in high risk flood areas. That’s because flooding can occur just about anywhere you live as a result of heavy rain, melting snow and ice or coastal weather events. If you do live in a high risk flood area, your home is more likely to be damaged by flood than by fire. You can buy flood insurance if your community is participating in the National Flood Insurance Program.

The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) was established to offer homeowners the opportunity to buy insurance to cover their losses in the event of flood damage. The Write Your Own (WYO) program is a branch of the NFIP and subject to federal rules and regulations. The program allows participating licensed insurance companies to write their own flood insurance policies for homeowners. A participating WYO insurer issues its own federally underwritten flood insurance policies in its own name. The company issues premiums and pays claims in its own name, too. The insured person might even be able to take advantage of a multi-policy discount from their insurer. See if you qualify by contacting us for a quote.

With Prepared Insurance it’s possible to bundle flood insurance with your homeowners insurance, and it makes sense to do it, too. You’ll be dealing with one single insurance company who you bought both policies through, and a single adjuster from that insurer is assigned for any claims. If you’re contemplating buying flood insurance, don’t wait too long. Your policy isn’t effective until the 30th day after you purchase your coverage. Depending on where you live, additional discounts of up to 45 percent are available. Get a quote.