Having gutters on your home is great for controlling the flow of rainwater. In order for them to work efficiently, they must be clear of debris. If they aren’t maintained, many problems can arise:
- They can back up and cause roof and water damage to the interior and exterior of your home.
- Gutters can begin to fall off your home if the debris becomes too heavy.
- Insects, rats, birds and other pests can build a home in your gutters.
How often should gutters be cleaned?
Maintenance is very important when you have gutters. It’s recommended that you inspect your gutters every few months. They should be cleaned at least once a year or twice a year if you have a lot trees around your home.
How to clean gutters yourself:
- Wear heavy duty plastic waterproof gloves to protect your hands from sharp metal and debris.
- Wear a long sleeve shirt
- Use an extendable ladder that goes above the roof line for stability.
- Purchase a gutter scoop to remove debris and gunk.
- Use plastic tarp to protect your lawn from gutter debris
- Once you have cleared everything, flush the gutters out with a hose
When to hire a professional:
If you aren’t fond of climbing ladders, you can hire a professional to clean your gutters. It’s also recommended to hire a professional if your home is two stories tall or more. Having someone clean them for you can run anywhere from $50-$250 depending on the size of your home.
Proper maintenance of your gutters can save you tens of thousands of dollars and could prevent a homeowners’ insurance claim. This is especially important if you own a seasonal or secondary home. Contact an agent today to find out how much you can save with a policy from Prepared.